When applying for a car title loan, one of the first documents a lender will ask for is a qualifying car title with the potential borrower’s name on it. But what happens when the car’s title has someone else’s name on it? Can that person still apply?
This page will explain why a borrower needs their name on the title, and how to change a cars title name. Don’t let a simple obstacle stop you from receiving the emergency money you need.
Why a Name Change Is Needed
A working car title is needed to apply for a car title loan. In order to complete the process and receive the money, a borrower has to have their name on the title.
If a drivers name isn’t on the title, the car isn’t legally theirs until the change is made. Without identification on the car title, a person can’t sell their car, register, or apply for a car title loan.
Changing the name on a car title can save time later on and prevent any confusion. But if more than one name is on the title, is that okay?
There is a major difference between the conjunctions “and” and “or.” If two names are on a car title, with “and” between them, both parties need to apply for the loan together. For example, if a title states “Jane or Joe,” then either Jane or Joe can apply for a loan without the other.
But if two names are listed on the title with “and” between them, then either person can apply for a loan by themselves. Note: there may only be 1 lienholder on a vehicle at a time when it comes to car title loans.
How to Change the Name on a Vehicle’s Title
Changing a name on a car title is a fairly simple process. Once it’s done, a person can apply for a car title loan and if eligible, receive the money they need to tackle that financial emergency.
To get the process started, follow these steps:
- Visit the DMV in person to make the name change.
- Proper identification will be required, so be sure to have valid proof of identification such as a government issued photo ID.
- Present the car registration or title loan.
- Have the required payment amount to pay any registration fees.
The process for changing the name on a car title varies by state, so be sure to call the DMV or check out this website to verify what documentation is needed and check the fees.
If a transfer is needed, then the previous car title owner or the second party on the title needs to sign the title over to the new owner. This must be done before the initial trip to the DMV.
Applying For a Car Title Loan with MaxCash
MaxCash is the number one title loan assistance service in the nation! We help connect people to lenders and help find them an affordable loan. The best part is that our services are completely free!
To begin searching for a car title loan, a person must first decide which lender they would like to do business with. This can mean calling various lenders and spending countless hours talking to an agent just to receive a loan with sky-high interest rates and short duration periods.
But at MaxCash, we do all of the work for our clients. We have built relationships with numerous loan companies around the nation. We make all the calls, ask all the tough questions, and work with lenders to help our clients receive loans with manageable terms4.
To get started follow these quick steps:
- Questionnaire: An inquirer must fill out our quick online questionnaire. The form will ask for contact information, as well as details about the vehicle. Completing the questionnaire should take about 5 minutes.
- Qualification1: Once we receive a person’s information, we let them know if they have a good chance of qualifying for a loan based on their car’s information and our decade of experience.
- Finding Lenders: After the initial phone call, we begin contacting loan companies. Because of our connections and our success, we are able to haggle and ask for better terms1. We acquire all of the important information our clients need to know and get all of the loans details.
- Decisions: Once we acquire loan offers, we relay them to the client. A client can decide to accept or deny the loan offers we find them. MaxCash is a free service and we don’t obligate our clients to accept anything.
- Securing A Loan: If a client accepts a loan offer, then we connect them to the lender to finish the process directly with them. The lender will go over the final contract details with the client. Then the contract is signed, and a client becomes a borrower.
Completing the car title loan process will require a client to produce some additional documents and information. Generally, a loan company will require the same information from every borrower. But this isn’t always the case.
The information a lender may ask for includes:
- A valid government issued photo ID
- Social security number
- Proof of income
- Proof of residence
- Vehicle registration
- VIN, license plate, odometer
- Pictures of the car
- Personal references
MaxCash provides free loan assistance to those that desire it. We work hard for people, because we know that financial disasters can happen to anyone. Acquiring a loan is an important decision, but not all loans are created equal.
Navigating the sea of financial lenders can be frustrating and confusing. There’s a lot of legal jargon, and a slew of information a person should know when inquiring for a loan.
At MaxCash, we take all the guesswork out of finding a lender and an affordable loan. All a client has to worry about is whether to accept a loan offer or not5.
So why not inquire today? We have over 400,000 customers, you could be one of them1! Complete the quick questionnaire, and see just what we can do for you.